[asterisk-biz] asterisk hardware appliance

Stelios Koroneos skoroneos at digital-opsis.com
Tue Jun 12 02:06:50 CDT 2012

On Thu, 2012-06-07 at 11:05 +0200, Peter Kaszas wrote:
> Hello everybody!
>
> Does somebody know an asterisk based hardware appliance with realtime
> extensions support (the user extensions can be stored on a separate
> mysql DB server, while the PBX itself runs on an embedded hardware
> appliance)?

As an off-the-self solution look at PIKA's WARP
http://www.pikatechnologies.com/english/view.asp?x=347
it has support for pstn (fxo/fxs), isdn and gsm and is build for
asterisk/voip from the start.

Alternatively you can use a number of embedded (or not so "embedded")
boards like PC Engines Alix http://pcengines.ch/alix.htm or other X86
based ones like the Soekris http://soekris.com/ and a custom
distro/build.

There are also DSP based appliances based on Blackfin and uClinux like
the IP04 http://www.atcom.cn/IP04.html

There are also some solutions i have seen based on ARM boards but once
you move away from the x86 architecture and you need fxo/fxs or physical
interface of any kind then drivers are the main issue (and also the fact
that many embedded boards don't have pci pci-e slots, although there are
mini pci fxo/fxs boards availiable)

If you don't need a "physical" interface then there many solutions to
choose from based on budget,form factor etc

Getting the asterisk mysql driver in order to get the real-time working
would require building it (in most of the cases) but that would not be a
big issue.

Here is a astricon presentation i did some years back on asterisk and
embedded systems (although its 4 years old it pretty much valid today)
http://www.scribd.com/doc/90756247/08-Asterisk-on-Embedded-Systems

Contact me off-list if you need any other info

Stelios S. Koroneos