[asterisk-biz] Low Bandwidth VoIP

Aleks Clark a.clark at jpiworldwide.com
Mon Jul 16 16:36:25 CDT 2012

You might check out RAD's VMUX-110 units, they compress voice down to
4kbps/channel, and trunk them together so overhead is minimal. I've used
them before but can't speak to any hard numbers, voice quality was good
(this was over satellite), but you'll need T1 hardware to bridge to
'regular' voip. Spendy gear though. For satellite, you'll spend a lot to
save a little bit of BW, those MRC's make a lot of weirdness worthwhile :)

On 07/16/2012 02:04 PM, Stelios Koroneos wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-07-16 at 11:11 +0200, Martin Vit wrote:
>>          The short answer is no you can't get 32 *concurrent* channels
>>          on a
>>          250kbps uplink
>>
>>          With G729 as a codec you need around 32kbits per channel
>>          including the
>>          overheads from the voip protocol and tcp etc, so that would
>>          give you
>>          around 7 *concurrent* channels.
>>

>> You are slightly wrong - G729 is 8kbit stream and the UDP overhead for
>> 20ms packetization is alltogether 25Kbit stream. In theory you can do
>> 30 channels over 250 kbit with IAX2 trunking feature which puts all 30
>> channels to one big UDP packet which minimizes headers and UDP
>> overhead. There is also G729 variant using 6.4kbit stream.
>>
> The 25kbit is as you said theoretical, the real values i see are close
> to 30kbits for a single channel.
>
> The IAX overhead i have seen during tests is around 20kbits in trunk
> mode and then an additional 9.5 to 10kbits per g729 channel you add to
> the trunk
> So even with that, reaching the 32 channels is not possible and i have
> not accounted the fact they want also VPN.
>
> Had the same issue with a sat link with limited bw so i had to do this
> "exercise" before, that's why i speak with some confidence.
>
> Cisco also offers g729 header compression as they call it which is also
> rated at 24kbit per channel, i assume that there must be other multiplex
> solutions out there, but given the numbers i still believe the 32
> channels on 250kbit is a no-go.
>

> --

Aleks Clark
Technical Design Manager
JPI Worldwide Inc.
http://www.jpiworldwide.com
Cell: 1-509-780-3144
Yahoo IM:  jpi_alex
Email:  a.clark at jpiworldwide.com

It is dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

CAUTION-PROPRIETARY INFORMATION INVOLVED:
This electronic mail transmission and any accompanying documents contain information belonging to the sender with JPI Worldwide, Inc.  which may be proprietary and/or legally privileged. This information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to whom this electronic mail transmission was sent as indicated above. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution, or action taken in reliance on the contents of the information contained in this transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please call 1-509-210-3023 and immediately delete the material from any computer on which this message was received.  Thank you.

Although reasonable precautions have been taken to ensure viruses or other computer threats are not present in this message, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that the message or attachment(s) are clean. Conversely, the sender may refuse acknowledgment or acceptance of replies for any reasons including and extending beyond virus content, malicious email attacks, or other reasons.