[asterisk-biz] Low Bandwidth VoIP

Stelios Koroneos skoroneos at digital-opsis.com
Mon Jul 16 04:01:46 CDT 2012

On Fri, 2012-07-13 at 22:55 +0600, Alex jhon wrote:
> Hello All,
>

> I have 250kbps uplink bandwidth. is there any possibility that i can
> run 32 channel GSM-VoIP gateway using this? I need to deploy VPN too.
>

> Thank You
> Alex

The short answer is no you can't get 32 *concurrent* channels on a
250kbps uplink

With G729 as a codec you need around 32kbits per channel including the
overheads from the voip protocol and tcp etc, so that would give you
around 7 *concurrent* channels.
Even with G723 at 20kbits per channel you could get a max of 10-11
concurrent channels.