[asterisk-biz] religious arguments and billing systems

Bruce Ferrell bferrell at baywinds.org
Mon Jul 18 08:35:00 CDT 2011

Folks,

I've been a Linux systems professional since 1993.  I've been a
telecommunications professional since 1980; a veteran of Western Union
and MCI.  I've worked with just about every major Linux distribution and
many non Linux *IX platforms. I have made very specific engineering
decisions for my systems as a result of my experience.  In all those
years one refrain I've heard from as a dull drum beat from developers is
that "if you pay me, you can complain/ask for extras".

Well, I find myself in the position of both being able and willing to
pay for support... Only to find that the developers now want to only
support if they can re-engineer my systems.  I even had one vendor
collect money for three months before telling he was unsure if or when
he would be able to support me, but if I was willing to pay extra for
development, it might accelerate what I needed.  Needless to say, I
declined the extortion and got my money back.

I'm not asking for asterisk or billing  on windows.  I'm not willing to
put in windows... Nor am I willing to put in Debian or Ubuntu.  I place
all three in the same class... the toy of the day.  I won't debate this
but I will discuss it off list if you're so inclined.

I have a working Asterisk system.  it IS generating revenue.  I need to
be able for my non-technical staff to be able to operate and provision
it.  I have installed a2billing and approached it's commercial entity
for training only to have my request avoided.  I mention them by name
only because this venue gave them such a high recommendation only to
disappoint me again.

So, now I ask... Is there any vendor that is willing and competent to
provide support for a fee without trying to re-engineer my system?    Do
notice, I said for a fee.  Not free.  I am pursuing this line of inquiry
as well as others.  BTW, no, I will not be putting in freeswitch, SER or
other similar solutions at this time.  I have a very specific task that
needs accomplished and am willing to pay a reasonable amount to get there.