[asterisk-biz] VoipJet went bye bye?

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Tue Dec 27 23:25:16 CST 2011

On 12/27/2011 11:34 PM, Jake Hansen wrote:

> Does anyone know how they sell US termination for 0.004 in a lot of
> cases? One would presume they are getting it cheaper and making a
> profit on it...

As Jay pointed out, wholesale termination in non-trivial volume is
cheaper than that to a lot of destinations.

However, the variation is considerable, and I wouldn't necessarily
assume they're making a profit.  In wholesale, it's common practice to
reject calls to certain especially high-cost destinations, even if the
provider claims 100% completion.  In retail, they usually just make a
bet that most of your calls will be to cheap destinations, and take
the hit if they're wrong.

In all cases, the goal is to win your traffic, whether you're LCRing
it or manually evaluating costs.

Personally, I think selling US termination at 0.004 blended, across
the board is suicide.  There are certain types of destinations (mainly
RBOC, some wireless) that are highly profitable sold at 0.004, and
there are also many others that would bleed you dry.  It's possible
that this type of thinking - predatory pricing - is the key to why
they went out of business.

--
Alex Balashov - Principal
Evariste Systems LLC