[asterisk-biz] need a phone system suggestion

Robert Rothberg rrothberg at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 13:37:08 CDT 2011

Hello all, normally I pitch Asterisk based solutions but I think for this
particular case, it would be overkill.  My son's school (45 students total
for grades 1-8, so very small, very limited budget) just added some office
space across the street from the school.  I have set up wireless networking
between the two locations.
They now would like a phone system that supports the following:

non POTS solution
supports two lines outgoing
supports two lines incoming
allows transfer of calls between extensions
if nobody answers transfer, VM picks up
wireless extensions (up to 4)
intercom type paging between extensions (would be nice, but not mandatory)

I thought about OOMA, but the range would be too far for handsets in one
location to reach the Telo device in the other location (there is a ton of
concrete and brick between the two as well).  So I think this will need to
be something SIP based.  This is something I am doing for free, so any low
budget ideas that would meet these requirements would be appreciated.
Obviously wireless isn't the ideal situation for VoIP, but there isn't much
choice in this scenario.

Thanks much for any suggestions.