[asterisk-biz] Largest conference you've seen on Asterisk?

Darren Sessions dsessions at digium.com
Mon Aug 8 09:11:11 CDT 2011

It's been quite a while, but I think we were around 50% or 60% load across (with what started as) four Dell R300s (quad-core with 8gb ram) with 1800 or 1900 calls (muted, but calls were established with media) and around another 15-20 or so that were mobiles or land lines so we could test audio integrity.

In addition to loads of fastAGI magic, the meetme app and database tables were heavily modified so things such as call counters, etc. recorded the correct data properly and were highly configurable for white-labeling.

Basically, whichever of the gateways the conference started on, it setup calls to the other gateways who would in turn create the same conferences locally and bridge the call from the conference owner with the newly created conference. If a particular conference server had all of it's participants leave, it would fall off of the main conference server to conserve cpu, rtp ports, etc., etc..

For better or worse, this method seemingly worked quite well.