[asterisk-biz] Largest conference you've seen on Asterisk?

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Mon Aug 8 00:37:07 CDT 2011

On Mon, 8 Aug 2011, Alistair Cunningham wrote:

> I'm interested in examples of large conferences implemented on Asterisk,
> where almost all of the users are listen-only. For example, 500
> listeners and 3 talkers.
>
> What's the largest you've seen? Was that in production, in a test
> environment, or hypothetical? Was it on a single Asterisk machine or
> multiple?

A couple of years ago, a guy described (on the user list?) a conference
system he built with 6,000 participants.

As I remember, it was for NASCAR fans to listen in to the drivers during
the race. Callers could choose which driver (by car number?).

He described the system as a tree. The top level had the original feeds.
Each level below was hosts connected as a participant in the upstream
host's conference until he had enough levels to have enough hosts to
handle 6,000 callers.

--
Thanks in advance,