[asterisk-biz] [UK] 03333 numbers et al

Chris Bagnall asterisk at lists.minotaur.cc
Thu Apr 14 04:06:03 CDT 2011

> Getting really confused over what numbers are best for both a business and
> a client ?!?!? 0845/0800 numbers used to be the ones; though with 0845 the
> providers got a kick back as-well. If you are a new UK business, and with
> be national, is the best approach an 03* type number. Any links to an
> definitive(ish) list of inbound pricing for a client ?

It may be worth having a look at the telecoms section on the Ofcom website
(www.ofcom.org.uk). I do believe (but am open to correction :) ) that 03xx
non-geographic numbers cannot be charged at a higher rate than geographic
(01/02) numbers and *must* be included in any bundles that apply to
geographic numbers. So, in terms of a consistent cost for callers, there's
nothing wrong with using 03xx numbers if you don't want to indicate a
specific geographic presence.

Having said that, I'm inclined to agree with Andy's response - nothing beats
a good ol' geographic number for clarity and avoidance of caller confusion.

It's also worth mentioning that I don't know how well adopted the 03xx
numbers are for international dialling. I recall a test I did on this list a
couple of years ago in which I asked people in various countries to try
dialling an 020 3 number I'd set up for testing. It would seem that many
international telcos had 020 7/8 in their numbering plans, and hadn't
"adjusted" to 020 3 also being used for London numbers - despite it having
been in use for some years when the test was run.

Kind regards,

Chris