[asterisk-biz] PRI vs SIP vs ???

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Sun Oct 31 01:03:05 CDT 2010

On 10/31/2010 01:42 AM, Don Kelly wrote:

> Things may have changed, but in most big cities it's not free to call across
> town. I can call 70+ miles and reach millions of people without incurring
> measured charges.

Though I may be incorrectly extrapolating from the most familiar
example to me, the trend actually seems to be toward the expansion of
city-anchored metropolitan calling areas.

Here in Atlanta, for example, we've got 404 (original) and 678 & 770
(overlay) codes whose calling area is 100% local, and the range of
this calling area is obscenely large.  Now, of course, Atlanta is one
of these catastrophic New South suburban sprawl developments, so the
MSA is somewhere around ~30 counties at this point.  But according to
Wikipedia[1]:

    "The area is the world's largest toll-free calling zone spanning
    7,162 square miles (18,549 km^2), has three active telephone
    area codes, and local calling extending into portions of two
    others."

Anyway, the point of this post is not, "it's 'Know Your Atlanta Day!'"
but rather to say that this is the trend I generally see in other US
metro areas as well.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta_metropolitan_area#Economy

--
Alex Balashov - Principal