[asterisk-biz] PRI vs SIP vs ???

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Sat Oct 30 14:14:05 CDT 2010

On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 3:12 AM, Nauman Ibrahim <ni at supertec.com> wrote:

> I think you should go ahead with sip trunk.Business phone systems are
> powered by PRI’s made up of 23 channels. No more, no less.
> You had to buy 23 at a time. SIP trunks can be purchased one at a time,
> allowing your business to scale as demand dictates.Since you mentioned that
> your demand would go up.
>
> I think with sip trunk there is cost savings and it is  coupled with voice
> quality and reliability.
>
> --
> Kind regards,
>
> *Nauman Ibrahim Syed
> Senior Accounts Manager.
> Direct #:1-718-395-8986/1-201-228-6777
> Fax: 1-206-339-4203.*
> *Didx special offer :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy-y2ppk5c0*
> * <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy-y2ppk5c0>Great offer 1000 U.K DIDs
> for $200
> Gtalk:ni at supertec.com <Gtalk%3Ani at supertec.com>
> MSN:sales at didx.net <MSN%3Asales at didx.net>
> Skype:salesdidx
> *

This is total nonsense.

Different carriers have different names for products, but you can get either
a dedicated number of channels on a T1 as PRI and the others as data.  Some
carriers will offer what one dubbed a "Flex Grow" which would dynamically
give you PRI channels as needed and cut into your data on the fly.

I also have a customer that only turned up seven channels on a PRI with the
thought of growing, it would just take a single call to turn up more
channels.

I also had a phone system with a T3.  That was 672 channels across seven
servers using NFAS on each server, so subtract seven channels for
signaling.

It is all about what the carrier will do for you.

You have to look at the big picture and many times, who is offering the
advice.  Anything Supertec, Rehan, DIDX, LInda, and now Nauman all have a
very long standing agenda around here that has been quite comical.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro