[asterisk-biz] Asterisk SCF and Enswitch

Alistair Cunningham acunningham at integrics.com
Thu Oct 28 16:52:33 CDT 2010

As many of you may be aware, Digium have just announced Asterisk SCF.
For those not familiar with it, Asterisk SCF is a new companion product
to Asterisk that is implemented using entirely new code, with a very
different architecture to Asterisk. It is distributed, highly scalable,
natively fault tolerant, and very extensible. It promises to be the
perfect platform for building future versions of Enswitch telephony.
Over the last 24 hours I've had quite a few people ask me whether
Integrics plans to migrate Enswitch from Asterisk to Asterisk SCF.

Integrics has been working with Digium for a while now in an advisory
capacity for Asterisk SCF. It's early days, and there's lots still to
do. We still don't yet know what the final capabilities of Asterisk SCF
will be. My expectation is that it will be ready for use by Enswitch in
12 to 24 months from now, though this is just an expectation at this
point. If this does eventuate, then Enswitch 3.X will continue with
Asterisk 1.X for the next few years. In parallel we will start work on
Asterisk 4.X using Asterisk SCF in the next 6 to 12 months.

More information on Asterisk SCF can be found at:

https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/TOP/Asterisk+SCF+Defined

More information on Enswitch can be found at:

http://integrics.com/products/enswitch/

--
Alistair Cunningham
+1 888 468 3111