[asterisk-biz] Asterisk Server + Origination & Termination

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Tue Oct 12 22:05:56 CDT 2010

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010, Benoy Jose wrote:

> Both of them seem to be cheaper than cloudvox. What I dont understand is the
> ridiculous price for SMS on all three platforms 2-3c a message. Even the
> monster cell phone networks like AT & T and verizon are cheaper.

  Also note that AT&T and Verizon _OWN_ the network.  SMS is a function, a
  side benefit, of the existing voice network.  Because it costs them
  nothing extra to maintain SMS capability, $5/month for unlimited SMS
  equals $5 of net revenue.

  Those who do NOT maintain their own network have to pay to gain access to
  this very closed and very protected service.  There is no motivation for
  them to offer unlimited SMS.  Besides we all know unlimited doesn't really
  mean unlimited.

  Be happy you only have to pay 2-3c per message!  Clickatell charges
  USD$0.06, down to USD$0.048 if you buy 400,000 up front.

Beckman