[asterisk-biz] Asterisk Server + Origination & Termination

Troy Davis troy at yort.com
Tue Oct 12 18:51:13 CDT 2010

> We currently have an asterisk server on-site at 2 of our different
> locations.  Each server has a PRI & Internet T1 connected to them, and I am
> looking to "consolidate" the servers out in the "cloud" somewhere and
> eliminate the PRI's at our offices.

Hi Eric,

Take a skim through <http://www.cloudvox.com/tour>.  A couple items you
raised:
 - Cloudvox exposes raw Asterisk AGI and AMI, so you can do pretty much
anything on Cloudvox that's possible with the dialplan, typically with
little or no modification.  Our topology uses FastAGI to keep the call logic
decoupled from the phone processing, which encourages maintainable,
testable, scalable apps.  Your AGI apps can run anywhere on the net.

 - accept PSTN and SIP calls.  We gladly accept calls from other carriers,
so you're welcome to "bring your own carrier" using SIP forwarding. At
higher volume where the extra costs start to add up, there's a discount for
SIP-only usage (1 cent per minute instead of 3).

 - it's not tied to a single system that you have to maintain.  Unless your
business is contract sysadmin services, this is probably a good thing :-)
 Just as importantly, there's almost no loss of power or flexibility.  The
things Cloudvox doesn't support (like a shell script sitting in a local
Asterisk directory) are the things that are hard to maintain, scale poorly,
and nobody's idea of BCP anyway.

 - as a convenience interface, SIP phones can also be associated with
Cloudvox.  That's mostly for free testing of your DIDs - it's not a hosted
PBX.

You can see the prices online, but boils down to 3 cents per minute with 0
commitment (including hosting, carrier service, etc), and $3/DID/month.  I'd
also suggest skimming the portal: http://www.cloudvox.com/tour/portal

Cheers,

Troy