[asterisk-biz] OT: Correlation of Paypal transactions

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Fri Nov 12 19:16:24 CST 2010

Greetings,

I apologise in advance that this is a bit off-topic.  However, I know
that many of you who run service providers take a high volume of
individual Paypal payments, many of them recurring.

My question is this:  When withdrawing Paypal payments into a bank
account, how do you correlate them on the bank statement to the relevant
Paypal payment activity, and therefore the right customer/invoice/etc,
from an accounting perspective?

When there is a manageably small number of payments involved, it can be
done chronologically.  And likewise, if the amounts are highly specific
to each customer, that is also useful as a correlator.  However, I have
found nothing embedded in the transaction ID or other identifiers that
show up in the online banking interface from which a reference to an
original Paypal transaction can be reconstructed.  It seems to me that
the process of withdrawing money to a bank is a separate transaction
from receiving payment via Paypal anyway, since Paypal gives you the
ability to specify how much of your balance in its account you want to
withdraw.

I suppose the easiest thing to do - and I imagine, the norm - is to just
record the incoming payments against open invoices at the moment they
are received, and put them in an asset account, less the transaction
fees.  When Paypal payments clear into the bank, just move the funds
from one asset account to the other and be done with it, without
attempting to establish whose payment it was that cleared.  The invoices
are paid either way, and the ultimate deposit destination of that money
is just an asset transfer technicality.

Still, I am curious if there are any more advanced options available or
other handy tricks of the trade that anyone would be willing to share on
how to reconcile high volumes of individual Paypal transactions.

Thanks!

-- Alex

P.S.  I am referring to plain old Paypal here, not Paypal web payments,
       merchant account services, etc.

--
Alex Balashov - Principal
Evariste Systems LLC