[asterisk-biz] DIDX Query (Dan Journo)

Steve Totaro stotaro at asteriskhelpdesk.com
Fri Nov 5 16:10:37 CDT 2010

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 4:04 PM, Max Glucksmann <maxglucksmann at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello Steve,
>
> Just wanted to make my employment status clear. I don't receive wages from
> DIDx net, neither have signed an employment agreement with them. We just
> have Interop Agreements as DID Buyers and DID Sellers. I'm happily working
> at Comtel Networks in FL (Fort Lauderdale, you're invited to stop by the
> office) and now with AstraQom from Canada; if it weren't so, I'd wish I
> was hired by DIDx, but is not the case.
>
> It is true I've attended conferences as other DIDx members have, which
> actively use DIDx, and have been invited to exhibit at their booth our
> products, from AstraQom and Comtel Networks, showing how we implement
> their APIs to sell phone numbers through our websites.
>
> At times they refer other DIDx members to us which are looking to develop
> phone systems and use their APIs, since they don't offer API programming
> services. We bill those customers in AstraQom and Comtel Networks, being
> DIDx responsible only for providing the phone numbers. We collaborate with
> each other, between companies, and I personally don't see anything wrong
> about that.
>
> Maybe I should modify the resume to clarify this, but I would definitely
> mention my experience with DIDx anyways since there's no backsliding from
> the relation between our companies. I've used successfully the wish list
> in their dashboard to request new features and they have delivered
> promptly and have added API features that we've asked for; also, I will
> always be happy to assist other DIDx members since we offer that service
> in AstraQom and Comtel Networks as part of the development we do using
> Asterisk and DIDx.
>
> About the minimum now being possible to be covered with only $15, I think
> it is great. If you research other suppliers, you will see some require up
> to $500. Having to manage 50 DIDs that you don't want, doesn't seem a
> problem to me. Working in development I often use the OH DIDs to test new
> apps and we use them for company use, such as access to IVRs.
>
> Having said all this, I still recommend DIDx and feel proud about the
> collaborative business relation we have, which has grown to be personal
> since they are close friends after all these years.
>
> Regards,
> Max Glucksmann
> E-mail: maxglucksmann at comtel-networks.com

Hello Max,

I don't think you should change anything in your resume if in fact it
is all true.  I even give you a huge applause for not embellishing it
like most of the resumes I see these days.  They are experts at
everything but during the interview, I give them a stock CentOS
install and ask them to log into the box as root.  Of course the vast
majority ask, "What is the password?" and fail right there because I
won't tell them and they have no idea how to single user from Grub.

Just an example, I like to mix it up, but resumes are so phony these
days, from someone that knows this, I give you much credit.
Unfortunately, HR people take the resumes at face value.  My resume is
very plain as well, besides the international, TS Clearance, DoD
Contracting, and war zones, but the skills don't list everything under
the sun like most.

My only issue with the whole thing is this "Attended different
conference shows representing DIDx as an API Integrator and customer
support agent. Helped accrue new DIDx members and helped them during
the sign-up Inter-op process."

This statement clearly says you acted as a DIDx rep and customer
support agent.  You also helped DIDx get new customers and helped them
get all setup, AS a DIDx representative, NOT as a AstraQom and Comtel
Networks partner of DIDx.

So there is where the confusion arises.  If you acted as a DIDx rep
then you were working for them, whether or not you got paid, and the
testimonial should include the fact that you worked for them.

If your resume is just worded incorrectly, and you were obviously
representing AstraQom and Comtel Networks as a partner, then I guess
you should change your resume to reflect that partnership rather than
being a DIDx rep.

At any rate, the testimonial should be rewritten to reflect reality.
All you would need to do is copy and paste a few lines from your email
above and then all disclosures have been made and it is an even better
testimonial, now you are a happy ITSP user and have a close
relationship and symbiotic partnership that benefits all companies
involved.

A testimonial like that is worth much more than one that appears to
simply be a happy customer.

I didn't mean to single you out or put you under a microscope, so I
hope you have no hard feelings.  It was just something that jumped out
at me while browsing.

Thanks and have a great weekend,
Steve Totaro