[asterisk-biz] DIDX Query

Steve Totaro stotaro at asteriskhelpdesk.com
Thu Nov 4 15:09:38 CDT 2010

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 3:00 PM, Alex Balashov <abalashov at evaristesys.com> wrote:
> On 11/04/2010 02:55 PM, Steve Totaro wrote:
>
>> Junction is comparatively expensive, it is also rock solid and run
>> like a real telco.  Phone number for immediate support, reasonable
>> wait times, quick resolutions.  I think the product that they supply
>> is worth the extra scratch in case there are technical problems.
>>
>> I personally used Junction for about two years and then when I had to
>> start cutting costs, I jumped over to Vitelity.
>
> I have used Junction for about 3 years, and continue to do so.  My
> impression is similarly positive, and, in my experience, worth the
> premium.
>
> --
> Alex Balashov - Principal
> Evariste Systems LLC
> 1170 Peachtree Street
> 12th Floor, Suite 1200
> Atlanta, GA 30309
> Tel: +1-678-954-0670
> Fax: +1-404-961-1892
> Web: http://www.evaristesys.com/

Then I landed a gig as a mercenary, ooops, I meant to say DoD
Contractor at this outfit
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_Canopy,_Inc.

Bye bye cut rate services and hello to a full Equinix cage with
redundant links to Level3's cage, providing SIP and DIA over a 100meg
link and a backup 10meg link.  That was just for the colo.

Add a layer2 100meg link between the colo and HQ (Cogent kicks butt
sometimes), again with a 10meg backup link and courtesy WiFi for
visitors from a different provider.

All of my plans and budgets got approved without exception, I was also
in a place where I could bully the big providers, they are hurting in
this economy.

Base salary is the highest I had ever made and my pay was incredible
while in Iraq.  Base plus 75%.

Of course dealing with sites all over the world and dozens of VSAT
connects is a pain and causes a great deal of complaints.

I mean, how do you make VoIP work well with 700ms-800ms ping times on
a good day.  Throw in a sandstorm, solar flares, power outages, and a
bunch of jitter and you start to see the variables.

I did come up with a formula for pretty decent voice quality, but the
other things are out of your hands.

You had better learn "Insha'Allah" pretty darn quick because it is
used in just about every business discussion.

It was kind of cool taking small arms fire, probably an AK on semi
while working on Motorola's Canopy system on top of the Iraqi
government building and a whole host of other experiences.  Good thing
the AK isn't very accurate.

I was really rocked when the two car bombs blew up in front of the
Ministry of Justice.  If they had hit the MOI instead, everyone's life
would have been much easier (terrible but true).

I have been in the middle of a few wars, but never the enemy until Iraq.

So...........I just have a bunch of toll free numbers and a balance at
Vitelity, I don't even use it but I consistently get calls from those
numbers.

Thanks,
Steve T