[asterisk-biz] asterisk-biz Digest, Vol 68, Issue 56

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Wed Mar 31 14:59:50 CDT 2010

--
Sent from mobile device

On Mar 31, 2010, at 1:55 PM, Abdul Nazeer <voipuser at optonline.net>
wrote:

> I hate to get involved, but do you mean he "shouldn't", instead of
> "can't"? Your attempt at getting your point across seemed OK in the
> beginning, but now you're just making yourself look bad. My opinion
> only, of course.

"Can't" is an oft-used colloquial stand-in for a prescriptive
"shouldn't."  When the detective says, "you can't just go around lying
to people," he does not mean that it it beyond the culprit's
capabilities to do so.

How am I making myself look bad in the course of making grammatical
errors and using imprecise phraseology?  Both your reply and Don's
seem to suggest that the viability of my overall argument about
quality differences can be assailed by undermining my credibility as a
judge of those attributes, or as an example of inscrutable
correctness.  It's a form of ad hominem misdirection; I never laid
claim to any of those things.

But the fact that my writing is flawed doesn't change that some
writing is better than other writing, and that this has significance.