[asterisk-biz] OpenSIPS Bootcamp

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 11:30:35 CDT 2010

Hi Flavio,

On 3/31/10 4:13 PM, Flavio Goncalves wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
> I really didn’t want to get into the politics about OpenSIPS versus
> Kamailio(Siprouter or whatever you have named in the last two years)
> and this does not seem to be the right place, but I’m obligated to
> answer your post.  In the first place, try http://www.openser.org
> <http://www.openser.org/>.
since you promote this as "former OpenSER" I expect you have more
knowledge about it and you know what you are doing training about. I saw
you are now entitled yourself as co-founder of opensips software
foundation, therefore I assume you are aware of what you got in. Or is
just mania about titles ...

Pointing a domain is useless, openser is an application, and the
application is about source code. Regarding domains, just try
http://www.openser-project.org, http://www.openser.com and
http://www.openser.net.

The source code was in a single place since 2005 to march 2009,
sourceforge.net openser project. Period.

> In the second place, the ownership of sourceforge does not entitle you
> as the owner of the name or the project.

Well, as you contributed nothing in terms of code, money and time to
bring openser at this stage, but now you use its name for own financial
reasons, it is in the open source spirit that you should give the proper
credits and try to figure out the truth and present it correctly. It is
not only me that contributed there, you will see that apart of the three
developers that created the fork, all the openser developers are still
with kamailio, they dedicated time and resources for many years and now
you simply trash them.

> Do you have the trademark of OpenSER?  I don't think so.  The
> information I have from the OpenSIPS project is below -
> http://www.opensips.org/Main/About.
>
> "*/OpenSIPS/* <http://www.opensips.org/>/ is the new name for the
> /*/OpenSER/* <http://www.openser.org/>/ project. /
>
> /Voice System/ <http://www.voice-system.ro/>/ (your former company)/

If you talk about Voice Sistem SRL, company created in 2004, then I
still own 50% of the shares (since end of 2005 when I got them) and it
is not behind opensips at all. You may have been misled somehow and you
work with Voice Systems Solutions created in 2008. None of the
developers you see at opensips can be employed by Voice Sistem SRL, that
company does not have a legal representative, so it cannot act in any
business relationship for at least past two years. If you or someone
else did it, then it is a scam and may end in other troubles. You can
address any EU country Registry of Commerce to learn more about
companies in EU space - in this way you are sure your business relations
are legal.

> / started the *OpenSER* project back in 2005/

This is where your project has to agree. OpenSER was started by three
people, one of them being employed by Siemens in Germany at that time
(with kamailio now), another being myself (and I was not employed by
anybody when I registered openser to sourceforge.net) and the other that
did the fork.

Check this one, they filtered better the fuzz create by some:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenSER

The Voice Systems Solutions company couldn't start openser because it
didn't exist when the project started in 2005.

On the other hand you say opensips is continuation of openser, but on
the web there is "only one founder" of opensips project. Shouldn't be three?

> / and strongly supported it since then - like man power, organizing
> and sponsoring events, developing and overviewing the development and
> sustaining the projects. In 2008, due some Trademark issues over the
> name, the project had to go for the new name - and *OpenSIPS* is the
> new name of the project. //Voice System/
> <http://www.voice-system.ro/>/ team has strongly contributed to the
> generic effort of migrating to the new name - SVN, web site,
> documentation, etc./ "
>
> If you don't agree and want to keep this discussion, I will suggest
> that, you and your old partner talk about this and decide a mutual
> agreed policy about the old name in a proper place.  I write books and
> training courseware, I'm not an actual or former employee or
> co-owner of Voice-System. I did not fork, renamed or kicked out
> developers of any sourceforge project.

Nobody was kicked from anywhere, from where did you get this? The only
action taken when the fork was discovered (few hours before
announcement) was to restrict admin rights (which meant only no longer
ability to add/remove developers from project) - developer rights,
tracker, user access, everything else was not touched. If others retired
by free willing over the time, it was by their wish.

I think you in opensips have something to clarify, check this email
which was the announcement of opensips as new project:

http://lists.openser-project.org/pipermail/users/2008-August/018793.html

Then who was announcing openser renaming to kamailio?

http://lists.openser-project.org/pipermail/users/2008-July/018681.html

In which project are the two now? So don't tell me about changing names
and minds... I do not need to abuse the work of others and project names
for self promoting. Kamailio got best of open source software awards in
2009, even without forking developers, and it is not my price as
co-founder, but the reward to entire devel and community team.

Some people in your project cannot keep a direction from one day to
another. You can try to spread FUD as much as you want regarding the
names. It is only Kamailio since July 2008, SIP-Router.org is the
development portal as SourceForge, that provides GIT repository and
helped to merge Kamailio and SIP Express Router (SER) source trees so
they share same C code now, making straightforward usage of extensions
from both projects.

So refrain to make statements and induce confusion about namings, again,
either you are not well informed or you do it on purpose for your own
reasons. You are smart enough to figure out in half an hour of reading...

> I'm only posting some information about a training we will have in
> April and this is the information I have.

Yes, I am sure it is the only information you had, if so then here are
my apologizes. Hopefully next time you do it properly and do not spread
information which is not accurate. I think I helped everybody that tried
to contribute to openser project, including you, reviewing your book.
But when people try sneaky things and fairness is forgotten, it must be
reacted.

My apologizes for people on this list for diverting from its purpose,
but in open source I think is important to keep the truth sane. I am
stopping here in this thread, no matter other replies will come,
everybody reading has enough leads and are smart to figure out more by
themselves.

Cheers,
Daniel

--