[asterisk-biz] Foip solution

James Sharp jsharp at psychoses.org
Wed Mar 31 00:41:00 CDT 2010

Trixter aka Bret McDanel wrote:

> For reference gyro stabilized tracking systems suitable for marine use
> are about $6k retail, transceiver dish arrays (LNBs that you stick on a
> suitable dish) are $1-2k depending on what you get.  If they are doing
> 24GHz systems for $30k they are ripping people off.

There were cheaper ones than what we sold, but just the 8W Ku transmit
amplifier (8W was needed to close the link at 1.5Mbps transmitting from
a 1.2M dish) alone is $8K retail.  But, honestly, I never saw a 3-axis
stabilized Ku dish for under $15K.  The much cheaper ones I worked with
were only for Inmarsat L-Band.

> $1300/mo for 1Mbps satellite is a bit excessive, even the predator
> drones which use a 3rd party ISP to relay unencrypted video telemetry
> does not cost that much.
>
> Not saying they didnt charge this, just saying its excessively priced.

People (government agencies, mostly...unlimited bank accounts) were
buying it, so we'd charge it.