[asterisk-biz] Foip solution

James Sharp jsharp at psychoses.org
Tue Mar 30 22:25:31 CDT 2010

Alex Balashov wrote:
> On 03/29/2010 02:10 PM, James Sharp wrote:
>
>> Alex Balashov wrote:
>>> Which doesn't work if the fax machines don't properly detect the max
>>> rate on the other end, which a great many of the all-in-one copier
>>> +scanner+fax appliances won't.  Sometimes limiting the rate won't work
>>> period depending on what the TDM side is.  Basically, it's all a
>>> pointless waste of time;  just go TDM.
>> Well, yes, TDM is always the best way.  But when at least two of your
>> customers are ocean going vessels, you eventually run out of cable to
>> run the TDM channels across :).
>
> I suspect that the latency involved in satellite IP connections creates
> a whole additional level of problem with fax.

It all worked very well. 15-20 page faxes between one ship and her home
base in Philadelphia were common.  Regular phone service was a snap, and
the customers who paid for the level of service could get an 8mb/1mb
connection and fully saturate it.

Not to blow my own horn, but when I build a network, I don't mess around
:).  Okay, I did blow my own horn.