[asterisk-biz] Mike Diehl-Fax Service

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Tue Mar 30 15:31:14 CDT 2010

On 03/30/2010 04:19 PM, Zeeshan Zakaria wrote:

> Thanks Andrew for clearing this. I guess this makes me a principal too.

Absolutely.  It's a title, simply because one has to pick some sort of
title (though this, too, is in dispute).

For a very small LLC, and granted the premise that a title is needed,
it's a harder problem than it looks.

- "Manager" or "director" fail to adequately convey that one is also
in an executive capacity, while simultaneously implying management
hierarchy which does not exist in such a small business.

- "President" or "Vice President" is viable, but, again, has the
problem of being too pompous and grandiloquent for a very small
company where such a title, even if given, is quite patently
meaningless in practical terms.

- "CEO" technically applies only to proper corporations, although many
people appoint themselves CEOs of other types of legal structures.
Like the preceding, it also has the problem of being overly flamboyant
for a tiny company, and liable to field accusations of egomania.

There are various choices with their respective advantages and
disadvantages, but I and many others have settled on "principal"
because it seems to tersely convey what needs to be conveyed without
being disproportionately regal or outsized relative to a small
company.  We've all heard of the 6-person companies that have 4 VPs of
something, and we know how meaningless this is;  "principal" strikes
me as an attractive way to avoid that.

--
Alex Balashov - Principal
Evariste Systems LLC