[asterisk-biz] Looking for Mexico Mobile Provider

Vlasis Hatzistavrou (KTI) vhatz at kinetix.gr
Thu Mar 18 09:46:02 CDT 2010

Hello all,

Just my 2 cents in defense of those carriers/resellers who prefer to
receive G729 calls:

:)

Since most commercial VoIP carriers use G729 almost exclusively, in most
cases there is no need for transcoding, (a reseller/carrier/whatever
usually receives traffic in G729).

In many cases there is good reason to avoid accepting anything other
than the terminating side accepts (ie G729). It is not only a matter of
G729 licensing costs, although nowadays that the wholesale margins are
getting thinner and thinner, all costs (and especially network access
costs) have a tremendous impact on the business.

The main issue IMHO is that apart from licensing costs, additional
transcoding causes is a degradation of audio quality: in a standard VoIP
call scenario a G729 call has already been transcoded at it's
originating end from another codec (for example G711a/u from an ISN
network) and will be transcoded to one of the prefered codecs of the
terminating end (if it's an ISDN network it will be G711a/u again).

So, we already have one transcoding in our hands, and all MOS
measurements are done in such scenarios.

Now, if there is an additional transoding along the path of the call
(example, the originating carrier sends you the call in let's say Speex
or G723.1 and you transcode it to G729 before you send it to the
terminating equipment), audio quality will degrade and most of the times
the degradation will be serious.

Also, up to now we have not even considered the fact that the audio may
have already been transcoded multiple times before it reaches your
equipment, as it passes along from carrier to carrier before it reaches you.

This is why in our company, we always prefer to let RTP pass through
rather than process it. We DO accept calls in most codecs if this is
indeed the customers' preference, but we notify them that G729 is always
preferred & that we will transcode from other codecs, but they need to
keep in mind that audio may suffer.

Best regards,
Vlasis Hatzistavrou
Kinetix Tele.com International Inc.