[asterisk-biz] 87.230.80.186

Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Sun Jun 27 15:15:55 CDT 2010

On Sun, 2010-06-27 at 15:53 -0400, James Sharp wrote:
> Andrew Latham wrote:
> > SIP TLS or a nice SNOM phone with VPN will do the trick...
>
> No it won't.  Transport layer encryption won't solve the problem of
> brute forcing weak passwords, which is what I believe this whole
> discussion started with.
>
> The SNOM phone is a little stronger, but only through
> security-through-obscurity of having to crack the VPN, then knowing how
> to configure your SIP client to talk through the VPN.  Still, not
> entirely secure.

I thought that TLS was documented, after all products like
freeswitch.org support it, and the snom phones.  If that is the case its
not security by obscurity.

TLS as I understand it can be configured to use certificates for
authentication, which means that you would have to either break the
ciphers used for the certificate or steal the certificate itself.