[asterisk-biz] 87.230.80.186

James Sharp jsharp at psychoses.org
Fri Jun 25 21:41:50 CDT 2010

Alex Balashov wrote:
> On 06/25/2010 06:46 PM, Paul Belanger wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 5:47 PM, Muug<Muug at lighteningsys.ca>  wrote:
>>> That IP did succeeded in gaining access to our Asterisk Server.
>>>
>> I don't understand why people put unprotected Asterisk servers on a
>> public interface with no ACLs or firewall.  Would you do the same with
>> your desktop?
>
> Bingo.

If you're running an ITSP with a bunch of end users out there, are you
seriously going to want to create a firewall rule for everyone's dynamic IP?

I'm sure it's considered heresy, but I've run my non-Windows machines
without a firewall or ACL for years.  Firewalls make admins lazy.  "Oh,
no, I haven't patched my server in 3 years and all my users' passwords
are three letters long.  I'm safe because I have *cue dramatic music* A
FIREWALL!".