[asterisk-biz] The newest buzz word - cloud computing

praveen kumar pbx.kumar at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 02:48:54 CST 2010

I did lot of research on this subject.

- Call recordings etc. will have latency and it will be not
manageable. You call records should first be stored internally and
then written out to S3 block. S3 block can be anywhere - west or east
and you will notice call degradation.

- Voicemail is ok on S3

- EC2 does not have any ETA and they really do not concentrate much on
jitter and latency.

- The major bottleneck is Bandwidth in and out. If you are using G711
- you will start burning yourself. If you have low volume - there is
no point of using cloud.

- Most of the APIs I have seen are jsut wrappers on Asteirsk AGI.
Nothing else. Check out http://www.invox.com if you are seeking to
build IVR components - just drag and drop. Click and click - your IVR
is ready. 40-50 voice mashups out of box. Visual designer. Supports 40
countries. Has inbuilt support for speech recognition, text to speech
etc.

- G729 may have transcoding issues on cloud. Also, if you are using
Speech recognition - G729 is no no.

My 2 cents - cloud is not yet ready as they may have latency not
covered in their SLA and they charge bandwidth in/out.