[asterisk-biz] VoIP and Internet connection

David Ruggles thedavidfactor at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 10:13:39 CST 2010

Assuming you're in the USA:

I worked for an ISP back in the Dial-up days and we looked at
providing DSL as Dial-up was phased out, so I know a little bit about
this process. Basically the only way to offer DSL service is to either
bury your own copper or lease copper from the ILEC. Since you're
competing with the ILEC they won't lease you copper, or if they do it
will be at such a unreasonably high rate that you won't be able to
offer service at an affordable rate. The solution is to become a CLEC
which puts you in a different class and gives you some protections
under federal and state telecom laws, basically what this means is
that the ILEC or ILECs (depending on the area you want to service)
will be *required* by law to lease their copper to you at wholesale
rates. However becoming a CLEC, at least when we looked at doing it,
was a very expensive proposition so we chose not to go that route and
stopped offering internet access when our dial-up accounts went away.

David