[asterisk-biz] International DID provider and wholesale A-Z termination and Dedicated servers supporting moneybooker

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Fri Aug 13 16:04:37 CDT 2010

On 08/13/2010 04:49 PM, Bret McDanel wrote:

> It is weird that there is a higher processing overhead for a paper check
> (cheque to people on other continents) yet that incurs no cost whereas a
> wire has much lower processing overhead and its often much more
> expensive.  Almost like people in this country are being steered to use
> the ACH system one way or the other.

The overhead and unattractive aspects of paper checks may be a
peculiarity of my unique banking situation, due to banking with a
local (regional) bank whose nearest branch is quite far from my
physical location. I'm willing to put up with a lot of inconvenience
because of how much I hate the big banks.  It's very time-consuming
for me to drive over to deposit checks, and it's very slow if mailed
in.  At the same, there's not enough volume to warrant something like
a remote check scanner.

The other problem with checks is time.  If you ask a customer to cut
you a check, it'll go through their usual accounts payable cycle, and
probably get bogged down with a traditionally-minded bookkeeper or AP
person who wants to do things on their own time, on their own
schedule, at their own pace, with their own little process.  If it's a
bigger customer, they are used to paying pretty much everything on NET
30/60/90 day terms, so they're not in a big hurry.  They also like to
forget to pay what are to them relatively small bills from small
vendors.  So, the check will be in the mail ... probably ... sometime
between now and the next financial quarter.  If the only acceptable
method of payment is electronic funds transfer of some description,
and they agree to it, it gives one more leverage to hassle them,
because the truth of instant payment is as black-and-white and
deterministic as everything else electronic;  either you got the
money, or you didn't.

As a tiny company, we really can't afford to do it any other way, from
a cash flow perspective.  I'm sure there are many others here in the
same boat.

--
Alex Balashov - Principal
Evariste Systems LLC