[asterisk-biz] UK Mobile Needed

Steve Kennedy steve-asterisk at gbnet.net
Thu Apr 29 08:50:13 CDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 02:40:41PM +0100, Abdul Hakeem wrote:

[snip]
> There's an EU directives in place capping data and roaming charges.
> It's a bit of saying if I put in more secure locks on my door that would
> only give the burglar incentive to try another trick !.

I believe there's a cap in place on roaming charges for voice and data,
not specifically data.

Many data charges are unrealistic anyway (both in wired and unwired
networks) as the backhaul and transit charges are often by X Bytes per
month charges.

> >> And really, how has anyone's business been hurt or impaired by the UK
> operators setting their own termination charges? One assumes you're marking
> it up by your usual margin, so whether you buy at 5.5p and sell at 6p or buy
> at 0.5p and sell at 1p is of little consequence.
> I have been in the UK mobile termination business since the days of
> refilling via Washington DC at 6cents(US) to know the impact of dirty tricks
> by the Big 4, recently Big 5.
> There are subtle ways you can be persuaded, especially when you are facing
> hefty losses.  It's not so simple about you tacking your margin and making a
> profit. Try negotiating an interconnect Agreement with any one of them & try
> to make an economic sense out of the worthless piece of paper handed to you.
> Charges for ported numbers, for example. How do you deal with that when the
> Big 5 monopolize the database ? The numbers belong to OFCOM, no-one's
> privacy is infringed as you are using it for routing purposes, there should
> be fair-play but you are restricted to using a lookup service at 1p a go.
> Imagine if you have 1 million call attempts per day.

a) numbers are not owned by Ofcom but managed by Ofcom. Numbers are in
fact owned by the end-user.

b) The big 5 (and now 6 if you include Virgin) are being firced to open
up the central porting database etc to new-entrants. UK01 (Mundio
Mobile) are such a player and have interconnects (maybe via a 3rd party)
roaming with T-Mobile and porting.

c) SS7 lookups are always free and comes with an interconnect agreement.

Steve

> The point I am trying to make is anything that's 'anti-competition' is
> illegal in the UK.

NetTek Ltd  UK mob +44 7775 755503
UK +44 20 7993 2612  /  US +1 310 857 7715  /  Fax +44 20 7483 2455
Skype/GoogleTalk/AIM/Gizmo/.Mac/Twitter/FriendFeed stevekennedyuk
Euro Tech News Blog http://eurotechnews.blogspot.com   MSN steve at gbnet.net