[asterisk-biz] Professionalism

Randy R randulo2008 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 00:35:11 CDT 2010

No quote, since this is not to any individual.

WELCOME IN OUR WEB SITE!

0) Mailiing lists are mailing lists, large ones will always have some
people using their "sense of humor" to mock others, so a thick skin is
needed when reading answers. There is often a message of some kind in
the sarcasm though, such as "Please use a subject that says what you
are asking". Anyway, that notwithstanding, I write to express two
opinions.

1) It is 100% true that Americans, of which I am one, rarely speak
another language, yet are the first to make fun of other people's
English skills. Forgetting the making fun part, I really do think we
all should be more tolerant of people who are expressing themselves in
a foreign language. It isn't just this list, but everywhere in English
communication, since English has become the universal language, where
people are chastised or ridiculed. We all should really try to be more
helpful and less snide, but everyone's different. I wouldn't jump down
anyone's throat for sarcasm any more than I would for bad English. I
too, have had a guilty snicker from time to time reading some of the
snipes.

2) Too many businesses make the huge mistake of not using a native
translator for their web sites or brochures. This does shed a very
unflattering light on your company, service or product when the
public-facing communication contains spelling and grammar mistakes.
Language is way too subtle to be approached by someone's nephew in
second year ESL. If you're a commercial product, spend the money on a
pro translator, even if GIYF. If you are a non-commercial project, get
community volunteers to at least proof read your site. The number of
times I've seen this short phrase is amazing.

<flame shield up>

/r