[asterisk-biz] USA termination-dialer traffic

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Sun Sep 27 15:09:29 CDT 2009

Tom Moore wrote:

> Actually your probably right.
> This dialing is done manually by a few people.
> It isn't a computer doing the dialing and then waiting for the live agents
> to answer the answered calls.

What matters to carriers and ITSPs is not how the dialing is
initiated, but:

1) CPS - the pace of dialing, measured in calls setup requests per second.

Higher CPS creates more load on the system.  The elephantine claims of
marketing aside, there's very little equipment out there - including
big-iron, large-scale commercial equipment - that won't start to
experience problems after a few dozen CPS at most.

Concurrency is a huge issue.  Spikes in call load that overwhelm the
service delivery apparatus at inopportune moments are also undesirable.

2) ASR - The percentage of calls that are to bad/disconnected/stale
numbers and/or the percentage of calls that go unanswered.

Most carriers and ITSPs only start billing once the call is actually
picked up at the far end.  That means that if, say, 60% of the calls
sent through the system never get picked up, that's an awful lot of
processing, trunk channels, timeslots, bandwidth, etc, etc. tied up on
the system relative to the amount of billable minutes extracted.

ITSPs and carriers look very unfavourably upon outbound dialer traffic
of high CPS and low ASR.  If you tell them that's the kind of traffic
you'll be sending, they will be happy to give you their higher rates,
or bill you from start of call initiation.  If you don't tell them,
they'll be happy to deactivate your service once they notice it.

Can't really blame them;  nobody wants this kind of low-margin,
high-utilisation traffic on their system.  It brings other
externalities as well, like potential legal issues that require the
service provider to get involved, etc. If I were a service provider, I
certainly would avoid it like the plague.

Anyway, the point is that if you can get a sufficiently large amount
of people to produce these effects by manual dialing, that won't
change the service provider's view of the traffic nor the latter's
essential characteristics.  The automated dialing aspect is not the
trigger.  You can have a well-behaved automatic dialer, or a hostile
manual-dial call center.

-- Alex

--
Alex Balashov - Principal