[asterisk-biz] Femtocell VoIP Router: Exists?

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Wed Oct 21 17:33:59 CDT 2009

I've been looking for standalone Femtocell Routers that would allow me to
build a localized cellular network (rural conference space with no cell
towers nearby) that would enable existing cell phones, regardless of
network, to be able to communicate with these routers and let me backhaul
outgoing phone calls to a VoIP gateway.

It would also enable me to allow for Virtual phone numbers that could call
in and ring on phones connected to this small network.  I'm ok if it is
only GSM, but a combo CDMA/GSM unit would be very cool as well.

We're talking a 5,000 sq ft conference space in rural Maine.  Maybe 4 or 5
femtocell routers could cover the entire space.  From what I've read, most
of the femtocell providers also have a giant, expensive "gateway" that
would reside at the cell site.  Clearly this works if that is not required,
and if it is, the investment is not really reasonable.

Are there any standalone femtocell manufacturers that would sell a small
quantity of devices that would be managed individually?

I realize that incoming calls to the cell phone's real phone number would
NOT be routed via this system, but they wouldn't get to the phone anyway
because of lack of coverage.  At least this way people can make calls with
their cell phone, and possibly set up forwarding to the Virtual number
before they arrive, so calls to their real number WOULD get through.

Thoughts?  Providers?

Beckman