[asterisk-biz] Successful Switchvox Deployment

Brian Franklin bfranklin at ntginc.net
Sun Oct 11 17:46:37 CDT 2009

I just wanted to share the details for a recent successful VoIP
deployment:

Project:

Replace Mitel SX-200 TDM/VoIP hybrid PBX for 90 user environment.
Integrate with existing Fax server, PA system, credit card and adhoc fax
machines

Solution:

1 Adtran Atlas 550 - allows existing PRI's to be shared between PBX and
Fax server

2 Adtran 1238 48 port PoE switches - so far, this is a great switch

1 Switchvox SMB server - largest appliance available

4 Cisco SPA509G - call center users

20 Cisco SPA525G - senior management

65+ Cisco SPA942 - general users

1 Grandstream FXS gateway - credit card and adhoc fax machines

1 TFTP server - free Solarwinds TFTP server running on existing windows
server

1 Cyberdata VoIP paging gateway - connects VoIP to existing paging
system

Lessons Learned

-          Grandstream is not ready for primetime, requires regular
reboots, will be replacing it with an Audiocodes 24 FXS gateway ASAP

-          Cisco SAP525G has all the bell and whistles, but are
unreliable, 3 have failed in the first week, also required me to disable
ALAW and ULAW to fix buzzing sound, will probably replace with SPA962

-          Intercom paging via phones does not work properly with
Switchvox/Linksys phones, puts existing calls on hold and seems to be
the cause an issue that requires a PBX reboot the next day

-          Updated Cyberdata with wrong firmware (my mistake), unit
would not reboot and requires it to be re-flashed by manufacturer (poor
design), I had a new one shipped and left the firmware alone

-          Linksys phones uses individual config files for each phone,
this is a problem when you have 90 phones and need to make a change to
all phones, found a nice little utility that can find/replace text
within multiple files, this was a huge time saver

Hope this helps and/or encourages someone J

Brian Franklin

www.ntginc.net