[asterisk-biz] Universal Service Fund (US only FCC USF)

Nitzan Kon nk3569 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 9 00:49:46 CDT 2009

Yes- you can get a 499 filer ID even if you don't owe any
USF due to de minimis. Simply give it to your carrier and
they'll stop charging you USF. There are some other things
you might want to consider, I'll email you privately.

There is no double taxation because it's all pass-through
i.e. you're supposed to charge your customers USF and file
499 to pass it to the USF directly. If you don't have a filer
ID then in essence you become the end-user yourself which
means you have to pay USF to your carrier. They in turn do
NOT have to pay their carrier too - they only have to file
499 and pass it straight to the USF.

Of course, the USF is a slush fund that shouldn't exist as-is
IMHO - but that's another story...

  -- Nitzan