[asterisk-biz] Capitalisation in English writing from Indian subcontinent

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Thu Oct 8 17:42:44 CDT 2009

Well, there's certainly been a lot of interesting feedback, though
very little of it in any way related to the actual question I posed.
:-)  That's OK.  Good times.

I consulted with some acquaintances from the regions in question and
others in a position of seemingly greater expertise, because, despite
what some of you may think (particularly those of you who had the
perceived misfortune of being cited as examples), I actually am
motivated by genuine curiosity.

The feedback was copious, but two consistent identifiable themes
seemed to run through it:

1) The native languages of that region - such as Hindi, Urdu and
Arabic - do not have a concept of "capitalisation" akin to European
languages, nor anything similar.  So, it should not be taken for
granted that the concept is as straightforward and intuitive as we may
believe.  A German learning to write in English needs only to learn
different rules of capitalisation, having already apprehended the
concept and a broad sense of its purpose and application.

2) Those struggling with the encumbrance of #1 are easily confused by
the distinction between capitalisation of proper nouns and
Capitalisation for Emphasis.  Journalistic conventions (Headlines
Where Every Word Is Capitalised) and marketing literature, known to be
viciously hostile to the achievements of high culture, does nothing to
help clarify the matter.

Thoughts?

--
Alex Balashov - Principal