[asterisk-biz] Universal Service Fund (US only FCC USF)

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Thu Oct 8 10:42:49 CDT 2009

More info on USF: http://www.fcc.gov/wcb/tapd/universal_service/

Like some of you on this list, I work for a small service provider with
expenses related to telecom of less than $100,000 per year.  This qualifies
us under the rules in 499A as a "de minimis" telecom provider, and thus we
do not have to contribute USF directly.

One of my providers is charging me USF on all termination and origination
products.

Since my provider likely needs to pay USF to their providers, I have to pay
the USF.  But with so many entities involved in a single phone call or
origination call, how many times are we paying USF to the US Gov't?

Additionally, for small companies who do not need to contribute directly,
does this exempt us from paying providers who do need to contribute
directly to the USF fund from having to pay our providers that USF fee?

L3 (pays USF directly) -> Tier 2 Provider (pays USF directly) -> Small Biz (does not pay directly)

In this scenario, the Small Biz is forced to pay the Tier 2 provider USF
fees.  In turn, does L3 charge the Tier 2 provider USF fees?  Or is Tier 2
exempt from paying USF to L3 because Tier 2 now pays USF directly to the
FCC?

If the Small Biz then qualifies to pay USF directly to the FCC, do they
stop paying the USF fee to the Tier 2 provider?

Can the Small Biz request NOT to pay USF fees and say they will take care
of the USF fees directly, but because they are a de minimis provider,
simply pay none directly to the USF?

All of this USF stuff has my head spinning.