[asterisk-biz] Capitalisation in English writing from Indiansubcontinent

Drew Gibson aggibson at cogeco.ca
Thu Oct 8 10:25:17 CDT 2009

The Canadian "Eh?" departs from standard English form in that it is NOT
(sorry for the CAPS) restricted to questions. It is often used for
emphasis, eh?

Another usage (perhaps specific to Toronto) is when the speaker, in the
typically deferential Canadian manner, striving to be "World Class", is
concerned that the listener may not agree and is desperately seeking
their approval. (e.g. all the time)

Although it pains me to further disagree with a fellow Canadian, I would
respectfully submit that the Canadian pronunciation "abaoot" is closer
to standard English "abowt" than the US "ab-eh-o-o-owt" which, to a
native of the UK, is closer to the Cat dialect of English than any other.

Can anyone shed light on why "dollar" is pronounced "dallor" in the US
dialect of English?

<\HUMOUR>

I have also noticed and pondered that pseudo-random Tendency to
capitalise nouns and adjectives.

Does anyone have any (real) ideas?

regards,

Drew