[asterisk-biz] Capitalisation in English writing from Indian subcontinent

David Knell dave at 3c.co.uk
Thu Oct 8 08:41:01 CDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-10-08 at 03:55 -0400, Alex Balashov wrote:
> [an interesting note about capitalisation]

I'm English, but I spend a fair amount of time in the US.  A recent note
from a US government department granted me "Permission to Initiate
Training", The Onion tells me that "New Anti-Smoking Ads Warn Teens
'It's Gay To Smoke'", and I quite often come across Sentences Or Entire
Paragraphs Written Like This, usually (I think) with the intention of
adding emphasis or an air of officialdom.  None of these, according to
our rules, should be capitalised.  Or capitalized.

Does that make them wrong?  No - it's just one of the differences
between the grammar of American English and that of mine.

--Dave