[asterisk-biz] Hacking the network

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Mon Oct 5 09:51:13 CDT 2009

David Gibbons wrote:

> Perhaps I should have said 'if someone breaks into my unlocked house
> and steals all of my possessions, I don't get to be mad...'.

I find that argument equally untenable, with reference to the same
underlying principle.

You should certainly behave pragmatically and realistically, which
means locking your house in recognition of the fact that there are
people out there that will try to burglarise it.

But the theory of liability that holds them accountable for it is not
dependent on the steps you took to limit the feasibility of the crime.
  It's still burglary, unless you invited someone in and unequivocally
offered them your possessions.

I suspect all of this is beside the point, because the real thesis
here seems to be about the level of moral outrage or emotional
indignation that one ought to feel.  That is difficult to codify
objectively;  it is, in the end, a matter of personal choice and
disposition.  Some people are doubtless inclined and able to approach
the disappearance of all their domestic possessions with a Zen-like
detachment, while others would bristle with rage if so much as a blade
of grass were pilfered from their front lawn.

-- Alex

--
Alex Balashov - Principal
Evariste Systems