[asterisk-biz] Creating a monster...

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Fri Oct 2 08:38:05 CDT 2009

On Fri, 2 Oct 2009, Matt King wrote:

> I've got a requirement to build a 16-port E1 ISDN Asterisk machine (so
> that's a whopping 480 simultaneous calls).  I'm thinking of using 4x
> TE405P or 4x TE410P to provide the 16 E1 ports required.
>
> There is no VoIP requirement at this customer.
>
> Does anyone out there have any experience you can share with building
> and running a system like this?

I had a similar requirement about 5 years ago for a 24x7x365 adult chat
site, except it was for T1s instead of E1s. Back then, the interrupt
activity from the 4 cards was strongly advised against. I don't think that
is an issue any more.

When we thought about it, 4 1u pizza boxes with 1 quad card each made more
sense. The dialplan on these "telco servers" just answered the call and
dialed the "application server."

If a telco server crashed, we only lost 25% of our capacity. Likewise
(because we were running at less than 75% of capacity), we could do a
"rolling upgrade" of the telco servers without any downtime. When we
wanted to upgrade the application server, we changed the telco server
dialplan to dial the backup application server.

You may want to take a look at external E1/T1 devices like red-fone.com.

--
Thanks in advance,