[asterisk-biz] Mobile extensions from Asterisk - HLR registration?

John Todd jtodd at digium.com
Wed May 20 10:00:28 CDT 2009

I've posed this question in person to people with some frequency over
the last few years, and the answer has always been "No, I don't know
of such a service." but I'll try on the list and see what I get.

I think it would be a great asset to the Asterisk community to have a
service provider (let's call them "SP-A") who is a mobile carrier who
offered the following method: if I register a SIP entity with their
servers, they would then register with the HLR of my mobile carrier
("SP-B") and act as if I was roaming into a mobile network operated
by  SP-A.  SP-B would then take all calls and text messages destined
for my mobile device and send them to SP-A.  SP-A in turn would then
relay those calls and messages to my Asterisk server, via SIP and/or
XMPP.

I would have pre-registered my mobile number with SP-B and
authenticated that I was the owner of that mobile number.  SP-A would
hopefully charge very little for the calls - perhaps a slight premium
on what I'd expect for a SIP carrier.

This would, I believe, quickly make Asterisk a roaming-capable
solution for mobile devices.  Local Asterisk servers would be able to
(as an example) detect dual-mode devices and then route calls in the
office in the appropriate manner.  Bluetooth could be used as the
"trigger" for non-dual-mode phones.  I have faith that Asterisk
developers and administrators would descend upon this type of service
like locusts.  The trick would be to make it purchase-able by
individuals, and not as some large-scale process that involved sales
contracts and NDAs and the like.  This needs to be a web form, a
credit card/paypal account, and some good documentation.

Potential problems: what if my mobile phone is registered with SP-A or
some other provider already?  Who gets the messages?  How do HLRs
manage multi-registration conflicts?

JT

---
John Todd                       email:jtodd at digium.com
Digium, Inc. | Asterisk Open Source Community Director
445 Jan Davis Drive NW -  Huntsville AL 35806  -   USA
direct: +1-256-428-6083         http://www.digium.com/