[asterisk-biz] Bad routign or hack attempt ?

Stephane Bakhos voip-asterisk at maximumcrm.com
Fri May 15 03:38:14 CDT 2009

Of course the guests access don't have free run on the extension and they
are limited.

However running an AGI script just to handle them seems not to be very
efficient, since some of these bots/people tend to do a lot of connections
in a small burst and running a bunch of AGI just to handle them is going
to be really wasteful in terms of resource consumptions.

With fail2ban, I could have it monitor the output of the logs from
asterisk, possibly even on a gateway firewall, and then take appropriate
actions after x denies. However that isn't possible if I don't have the
IP address of the ill manered "guest".

On Thu, 14 May 2009, Elliot Otchet wrote:

> [...]
>
> The premise of my comments below are based on the fact that you've
> already decided to let the public access Asterisk via SIP (or IAX, as
> the case may be).
>
> Configure your guest context to gracefully handle "unknown" extensions
> in your dialplan (e.g. _X.) and you can do anything you want to with the
> information (e.g. log it to a database, block it with iptables, etc.).
> You could even use NoOp to send this back out with the full sip URI(or
> Channel Name, CallerID, or etc.) to your console.
>
> Being that you're opening a door on the server to let the public come
> in, you also might want callers sent to an IVR (or operator) that helps
> them get to where you want them in your business.  You could also place
> these callers into an AGI to check to see if the sip uri has already
> made X other invalid attempts in the last Y hours/minutes/seconds.  If
> it has, you could have the AGI add an entry to iptables that blocks that
> host from accessing Asterisk or your network entirely.
>
> While yes, technically, this no longer truly rejects the call - this is
> a guest context set up specifically to allow calls from
> unregistered/unidentified callers.  Seems to me you get the best of both
> worlds and can now manage the outcome.
>
> I'd be happy to spend a few minutes discussing this off-line if anyone
> has questions.
>
> -Elliot
>
> P.S. We still do need a better story for unsuccessful registration
> attempts (e.g. password cracking), but that's a different topic for
> another day. P.S.S. Here's the basic information obtained by a
> DumpChannel when one of our systems was being hacked in this manner:
>
> Dumping Info For Channel: SIP/93.190.143.10-b40871c0:
> Info:
> Name=               SIP/93.190.143.10-b40871c0
> Type=               SIP
> UniqueID=           rhel52-1242266111.23
> CallerID=           MeucciSolutions
> CallerIDName=       MeucciSolutions
> DNIDDigits=         901034911871524
> RDNIS=              (N/A)
> State=              Ring (4)
> Rings=              0
> NativeFormat=       0x4 (ulaw)
> WriteFormat=        0x4 (ulaw)
> ReadFormat=         0x4 (ulaw)
> 1stFileDescriptor=  35
> Framesin=           0
> Framesout=          0
> TimetoHangup=       0
> ElapsedTime=        0h0m0s
> Context=            ext-did
> Extension=          901034911871524
> Priority=           1
> CallGroup=
> PickupGroup=
> Application=        DumpChan
> Data=               (Empty)
> Blocking_in=        (Not Blocking)
>
> Variables:
> SIPCALLID=5561404f5e98813548578b336c604b5f at 93.190.143.10
> SIPUSERAGENT=MeucciSolutions
> SIPDOMAIN=X.X.X.X (replaced to protect the innocent)
> SIPURI=sip:MeucciSolutions at 93.190.143.10

>>> o=root 634218215 634218215 IN IP4 93.190.143.10.
>>> s=Asterisk PBX 1.6.0.5.
>>> c=IN IP4 93.190.143.10.
>>> t=0 0.
>>> m=audio 10990 RTP/AVP 8 0 101.