[asterisk-biz] Preferred language for Asterisk AGIs development ?

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Tue May 5 13:48:36 CDT 2009

Kashif Naeem <kashif at haditelecom.com> wrote:

> We are going to start development for a product based over Asterisk.
> According to you, which is the preferred language for AGIs / IVRs
> development in Asterisk. I got opinions that Perl is going to be replaced
> by PHP for all future developments.

  *laugh*  Perl replaced by PHP?  Don't say that too loud in the wrong room
  of people.  I highly doubt PHP will ever replace Perl.  Perl, as with any
  language, has its strengths and weaknesses, as does PHP.  PHP is great for
  web applications and accomodates novice programmers well.  Perl is very
  powerful, though can be bloated and unruly when not in the hands of a
  master.

On Tue, 5 May 2009, Alex Balashov wrote:

> Why would you go with PHP in light of the scalability issues associated
> with individual invocation vs. FastAGI?
>
> Seems like something easily daemonisable like Perl or Java would be a
> much better runtime environment for doing AGI as a service.

  I have to agree with Alex.

  I use a combination of the two.  I've written a PHP API that my Perl
  FastAGI calls.  This allows me to have the AGIs running on a dedicated
  cluster of servers, my web farm elsewhere, and Asterisk even somewhere
  else.  I can implement all of the business and billing logic in PHP, while
  the AGI implements all call handling functionality.

  FastAGI is FAR superior to spawning a new AGI handled call, and though you
  can build PHP as a long-running socket-answering AGI handler, Perl seems
  to handle it better.  I haven't written a PHP FastAGI handler, maybe I'll
  build one just to test.

  What I use:

     Perl
     Net::Server::Fork