[asterisk-biz] Dear Termination Providers,

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Fri May 1 11:40:05 CDT 2009

Alexander Harrowell wrote:

> Isn't there a need for a Web service here?
Not really.  Frankly I don't want to have to do a web-service call for
every single call.  Plus LCR routing doesn't really work if you don't know
what the rate is.  I want to simply download and cache all rates for
a given provider, not to dynamically fetch 20 rates from 20 providers for
each call just to determine which one I should use.

What's needed is a rate deck that includes every route the provider
supports, US, Canada and everything else.

There is also a problem with not being able to provide negative routes.

     52,0.05,Mexico

What if you can't route to 52235?  Or you choose not to?  There's no way to
announce that, well other than:

     52235,99999,Mexico

But still, if nobody else can route it, my LCR engine might try to route
the call there.  It would fail, but if my call messed up, I might charge
$100,000 to my customer.  It would be silly, but possible.

I just think we need to come up with an RFC for telecom termination
providers to share their rates -- 3,000 rows or 300,000 rows.  I think the
format that another guy on this list started is good, but still needs some
refinement.