[asterisk-biz] Antarctica.

John Todd jtodd at digium.com
Fri Mar 20 12:24:26 CDT 2009

On Mar 19, 2009, at 11:31 PM, Alex Balashov wrote:

> Anyone know how phone service is delivered to Antarctica?
>
> However it is, calling it is mighty expensive compared to typical LD
> rates.  But I'm mainly curious as to the exact medium and
> infrastructure, as well as the commercial operator(s) involved.

It's delivered via satellite.  I believe (though don't quote me on
this) that Palmer has the largest bandwidth to the continent, at least
for the US.  Each nation probably re-routes their own number space
through to their bases on the southern continent.

Most numbers in McMurdo and Palmer are Colorado phone numbers that are
piped in through a Cisco platform.  Most 'work' voice goes through
numbers that aren't distinguished in any way from regular NANPA number
space as far as billing goes.  Apparently you're hitting some that are
using the +672 if you're talking about the price.  I'm aware of very
few (if any?) numbers that are actually using the Antarctica numeric
prefix (+672) though perhaps there are a few.

http://www.ldpost.com/countries/antarctica/

JT

---
John Todd                       email:jtodd at digium.com
Digium, Inc. | Asterisk Open Source Community Director
445 Jan Davis Drive NW -  Huntsville AL 35806  -   USA
direct: +1-256-428-6083         http://www.digium.com/