[asterisk-biz] Warning - The release version of skype-for-asterisk will not be able to use existing Skype ids.

Tim Panton thp at westhawk.co.uk
Mon Mar 9 04:50:51 CDT 2009

This is a quick warning to any of you that are thinking of
implementing Skype-for-Asterisk when it is released.

We are on the beta, and have had quite a bit of success with it.

However there is an issue which burnt us slightly so I'd like to warn
folks before they get
burnt too.

The release version of skype-for-asterisk will not be able to use
existing Skype ids.

This means that if you register your company name (or your customers
do) as a skype id now
(we registered phonefromhere immediately we heard the announcement)
you will not be able
to have skype for asterisk signing in as that user.

I spoke to Mark and the skype guys while I was at ecomm . (Mark raised
it in his talk)
(see http://babyis60.wordpress.com/2009/03/08/the-post-telecom-era-still-undefined-but-less-fuzzy/
for a review of the conference). It turns out that this isn't a
technical issue, but a legal one. The current
skype eula explicitly states that users must not disclose their
passwords. Clearly the asterisk administrator
needs to have that password to configure skype-for-asterisk.

Of course I'd like to be able to 'port in' the phonefromhere name, I'd
be happy to sign the new eula
on behalf of the company and waive the existing EULA.

Is anyone else in the same position ? I guess if there are enough of
us who have pre-existing
Skype IDs we would want to port in, they might set up a transition
process.

So, If you don't have a skype id for your company yet and you think
you might want to use
Skype-for-asterisk _don't_ register one yet.

Tim.

Tim Panton - Web/VoIP consultant and implementor
www.westhawk.co.uk