[asterisk-biz] iPhone 3.0 app for asterisk?

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Sat Jun 27 11:10:24 CDT 2009

On Sat, 2009-06-27 at 17:47 +0200, Ron Arts wrote:
> SIP clients for the iPhone suck. Because of the Apple restriction
> that apps cannot run in the background. Also as soon as you receive
> a GSM call, your VoIP call is terminated, and the iPhone phone app
> pops up.

that is a problem with the iphone and not sip clients per se, as a
result it may not be the best tool to be looking for, if you can drop a
VoIP call merely by calling the gsm number.

According to a Sr. VP of iPhone software this is to combat stupid people
"Most implementations often incorrectly lead users to believe that
they've quit programs when they remain open, reducing the battery life
and hurting processor performance with each open application."

I personally would not want a facist phone that tells me I am too stupid
to manage apps running on it, and they need to do that for me, but that
is just me.  I am acutely aware of the apps running on both my linux
based and windows mobile based smartphones, and think that its silly for
someone to arbitrarily decide that I should have a crippled OS simply
because some users are not so aware.

It also looks like apple will have a stricter approval policy on apps
that run in the background.  The whole concept that I bought the phone,
I own the hardware, yet I have to get permission to run applications and
can only run the ones they let me, seems silly.  If this limitation were
placed on desktops then its unlikely that people would use that.  Some
people like to develop applications that do a specific task and do not
want to have to jump through hoops to install their software on their
hardware, especially if it conflicts with some business model of the
seller of said hardware.  this might be fine for game consoles, but
people rarely use a game console for business, and when you add in the
business aspect it makes it a different argument.

So for this to be possible, and what I just read on the push stuff it is
not as possible to stop the voip app dies when you get a phone call, you
would have to get apple's permission to do it, which would require them
to have no vested interest in not using the GSM network, which I believe
since they are tied to the carriers they allow to carry the phone it is
not.  The push stuff basically lets an app know that it has to perform
some task, if it dies because something else popped up it appears all
you can do is bring it back up, but the call would still be trashed.

Its a whole big pile of facism, they tell you how you are allowed to use
your phone, they approve which apps you can use with your phone, and
this will not work well for all users, as a result it would not be
something I would stake my business on.

pgp key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x8AE5C721