[asterisk-biz] CraigsList PVA & VoIP

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Tue Jun 16 21:11:04 CDT 2009

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009, Nitzan Kon wrote:

> It's not even that deep... they just look at the NPA-NXX
> and decide you're VoIP if it comes up as Level 3 and other
> such carriers...
>
> I'll leave my comments out, but let's just say my opinion
> on this starts with an R...

  Craigslist wants to keep things clean, individual driven content, not
  business and automated crap.  Craigslist doesn't tell you if a number has
  been used before or not, and it makes things difficult for people who want
  to create a thousand craigslist accounts to spam them with disallowed
  advertisements so they can make a buck.

  In fact, I go out of my way to block any service that uses a phone number
  to verify an account because I cannot guarantee that the number I sell
  hasn't already been used on a service to open someone elses account.
  Because I cannot guarantee it can be used to open an account, it is easier
  to block them and disallow it than to hope it works so _I_ can make a
  buck.

Beckman