[asterisk-biz] CraigsList PVA & VoIP

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Tue Jun 16 17:27:32 CDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-06-16 at 17:10 -0500, Brett Nemeroff wrote:
> Well they'll be able to hit the LIDB info for the actual LEC, but
> that'll be pretty far removed from the VoIP entity.

well iirc LIDB has a flag for 3rd party billing, and it would be that
info that I could imagine that someone would be interested in.  If you
cant do collect calls, 3rd party billing, etc, then it may be a point in
a multifaceted check system.  There are other flags that can be set but
I do not know exactly where they are stored, so I am unsure if they can
have access to it.

I have heard that paypal (owned by ebay, which owns a big chunk of
craigs list) does something similar, people have complained that paypal
wont verify their voip numbers, but I dont know how widespread it is.

> You may be onto something with CNAM, but that seems so incredibly
> short-sighted, I can't see what the point would be..

Well thinking about this even more, it could be that they pull from
various sources, CNAM, LIDB, and maybe other things, and grade it, if
you have a certain score you are verified, otherwise it fails, and
depending on the type of line it can fail easier than not.

pgp key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x8AE5C721