[asterisk-biz] CraigsList PVA & VoIP

Trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Tue Jun 16 17:07:12 CDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-06-16 at 14:52 -0700, Barton Fisher wrote:
> Call me curious, but I've read Craig's List won't PVA (Phone Verified
> Accounts) VoIP and certain CLEC DID's.
> I'm wondering how they could know for sure the number was one of these.
> Quick search I find nothing that
> might provide a reliable method for test a number before dialing it -
> any ideas?

maybe they do a CNAM dip and if nothing is found they reject it.  Given
that most VoIP providers do not have CNAM entries for their DIDs, and
some CLECs may not either, I am wondering if that is all they are doing
or if they are looking in LIDB for a flag commonly used for VoIP numbers
(which the only one that comes to mind is the one that is used to
disallow collect calls, and 3rd party billing, which I can see many
legit people having as well, making me think that would have a high
false positive rate).

pgp key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x8AE5C721